The Technical Reasons
- First and foremost, a Baldwin’s custom hat will fit like you were born with it — gone are the days of trying to break in an uncomfortable hat.
- Of nearly equal importance, you will know the quality of the fur that will be in your hat. The fur is hand-picked and imported from Europe. Baldwin’s hats are either pure Beaver fur or are blended with European Hare. You choose from 100% beaver, 50/50 beaver and hare or 100% hare. A hat made with real fur lasts longer, keeps its shape better and is better protection from rain and snow.
- Baldwin’s does not powder hats. Powdering is often used by commercial manufacturers to even out the color of a hat. But when the hat gets wet, or you have it cleaned, the color changes, sometimes ruining the hat.
- Baldwin’s hats have a shellac built into the hat body. As the hat goes through the different procedures, the shellac causes the hat to stiffen naturally.
- In bad weather, it is not necessary to wear a hat cover on your Baldwin hat because it is water resistant naturally and will not spot. If handled properly after getting wet, your custom hat from Baldwin’s will not lose its shape.
- Baldwin’s guarantees that the dyes used in the hats will not run if they get wet. Many manufacturers’ hats — even their most expensive hats and especially black hats — will not hold the dye if the hat get wet.
- Baldwin’s uses the finest hat bands available and you can choose the band you wish — even custom-beading — rather than having to change your band after receiving what someone else thought looked the best.
When purchasing a custom hat from Baldwin’s, you are given a huge gamut of options to personalize your hat. You determine every nuance of the style to make your hat truly yours.
The Personal Reasons
Looking for that perfect hat can be a challenge, even if you have a head shape that conforms to the ideal of Stetson or one of the other mainstream manufacturers.
Do you have an idea for that “dream hat” you’ve always wanted, but could never find?
What about a hat from your favorite western, or cowboy hero?
Was there a hat you once found, but at the time just couldn’t bring yourself to buy it, and now you’re kicking yourself?
Perhaps, you want a cowboy hat in your University colors with a Gus crown and an over-sized brim.
Did you or someone you love lose a favorite hat and you’d love to have an exact replacement made?
Is there a famous old style, or a rare obscure hat you’ve always wanted but never thought you could find?
Do you have a favorite photo of a relative wearing a hat and you’ve always wanted a perfect replica?
How about famous hats in history, to display, or wear as a special costume, or to use in re-enactments or educating others?
Or a hat that is in the illustrations of your favorite children’s book?
Or a hat in that drawing you drew or your children have drawn that you’d love to have made into a “real live” hat for yourself, or to give to them for that once-in-a-lifetime gift?
A custom hat could be the only solution. From Baldwin’s, you can get that perfect hat you have always wanted for a price that will surprise you. From cowboy hats to dress hats, the choices are yours.